February 3, 2015
By Christopher Sherman, 2/2/2015
Mexico has made a priority of passing laws against forced disappearances and perfecting a database to track missing people, the country’s permanent representative to the U.N. in Geneva said Monday.
Mexico’s delegation faced the first of two days of questions from the U.N. Committee on Enforced Disappearances, which is monitoring implementation of the 2006 International Convention for the Protection of all Persons from Enforced Disappearance.
February 3, 2015
By UN News Centre, 2/2/2015
The head of the United Nations agency mandated to defend press freedom today denounced the assassination of Moisés Sánchez Cerezo, a Mexican journalist recently found murdered weeks after his disappearance, and Kenji Goto, a Japanese freelancer killed by Islamist extremists in Syria.
“His killing is an unacceptable attack on journalism, a profession that embodies the right of freedom of expression, which is indispensable to democracy,” lamented Irina Bokova, Director-General of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), in a press release issued earlier today.
December 16, 2014
12/15/2014 The Washington Post
A federal judge dismissed criminal charges on Monday against two women who witnessed the June 30 army killing of suspected drug gang members in southern Mexico.
The judge in Mexico state ordered their immediate release after federal prosecutors failed to bring charges. The women had been held in a prison in western Nayarit state for more than five months for allegedly possessing weapons.
The two survived the mass slaying of the 22 suspected gang members and were jailed in violation of their human rights, after they were tortured and sexually threatened into backing the army’s version of the incident, according to Raul Plascencia, the former president of the National Commission on Human Rights who oversaw the commission’s investigation into the slayings.
September 24, 2014
09/23/14 The Washington Post
Mexico’s governmental human rights agency said Tuesday it is investigating the deaths of 22 people in a clash with the army that one witness has described as a massacre. The National Human Rights Commission expects to conclude its report on the incident in about six weeks. The agency is examining various aspects including reconstructing how the victims died, commission president Raul Plascencia said. The Mexican army reported on June 30 that 22 presumed criminals had been killed and one soldier wounded in what it described as a shootout after suspects attacked soldiers first. That version was cast under doubt due to the lopsided death toll and physical evidence at the scene suggesting at least some of those killed had been standing against a wall and shot around chest level.
September 22, 2014
09/21/14 Los Angeles Times
Shortly after the Mexican army killed 22 people in what it described as a fierce gun battle with an armed gang, the governor of the state where the incident occurred praised the military for its actions. The army has courageously and tirelessly protected citizens from ruthless criminals, Gov. Eruviel Avila of the State of Mexico said in a public ceremony, thanking the military for the operation. But in the weeks since the June 30 killings, mounting evidence has raised numerous questions about the army’s version of events.
September 15, 2014
09/12/04 The New York Times
Several Mexican human rights groups said on Friday that they had filed a complaint with the office of the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, asking it to investigate the “systematic and widespread” abuse of thousands of civilians by the army and the police in their fight against organized crime. Their complaint includes charges of torture, capture and disappearances of civilians in the region of Baja California between 2006 and 2012.