Las grandes fortunas mexicanas pujan fuerte por Banamex

02/08/2022

Fuente: El País

Citigroup busca un millonario interesado en comprar las más de 1.200 sucursales de Banamex. Después de ocho meses de anunciar la puesta en venta de la filial mexicana, la lista de postores para hacerse con el tercer banco por activos del país se ha ido acortando.

El banco español Santander y el mexicano Grupo Salinas se han bajado de la contienda, mientras que algunas de las grandes fortunas del país siguen en la carrera. Este es el caso de Carlos Slim, con Inbursa o Carlos Hank, al frente de Banorte, los dos postores a los que los analistas del sector financiero identifican como los más fuertes, aunque no descartan otros jugadores como Germán Larrea –dueño de Grupo México– o la familia Baillères, heredera de los negocios financieros y de seguros GNP.

LEA MÁS

Grupo Carso Says Repairing Mexico’s Collapsed Metro Could Cost $40 Million

Source: U.S. News & World Report

 Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim’s Grupo Carso said the cost of repairing a collapsed section of a Mexico City metro rail that caused a fatal accident earlier this year could amount to some 800 million pesos ($40 million).

Carso was one of the companies in a consortium that built the metro’s Line 12, and has said it will rebuild an elevated segment of track that collapsed in May, killing 26 people.

READ MORE

Mexico’s richest man to rebuild collapsed subway line

Source: ABC News

Telecom and construction magnate Carlos Slim said his Grupo Carso’s construction subsidiary would pay the cost of rebuilding the span that collapsed, and reinforcing other parts of the elevated line to meet higher standards in a city plagued with severe earthquakes.

READ MORE

Mexico’s richest man to rebuild, pay for collapsed subway

07/30/2021

Source: Yahoo! News

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s richest man has pledged to rebuild and pay for a segment of a Mexico City subway line that collapsed on May, killing 26 people, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Wednesday.

López Obrador said telecom and construction magnate Carlos Slim has promised to pay for the rebuilding out of his own pocket and have it back in service in a year. One of his companies had originally built much of the section where the collapse occurred.

READ MORE

Mexico’s Slim to fix collapsed metro line at no cost within a year

06/30/2021

Source: Reuters

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim’s construction firm will repair a collapsed Mexico City metro line at no cost to the government so that it can re-open in a year, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Wednesday.

The accident last month on an elevated stretch of the busy Line 12, which was built by Slim’s Grupo Carso, killed 26 people. Lopez Obrador said Slim told him in a meeting on Tuesday that he would cover the entire cost of rebuilding.

READ MORE

Mexico’s President Says Carlos Slim Might Help Rebuild Collapsed Metro Line

06/23/2021

MEXICO CITY — The business tycoon Carlos Slim is willing to repair part of Mexico City’s subway system, the country’s president said Wednesday, after investigations found that shoddy work by Mr. Slim’s engineering firm had caused part of a metro line to collapse last month, killing 26 people.

But it was not clear whether that meant Mr. Slim would absorb any of the cost of fixing the line, which failed less than nine years after it opened.

READ MORE

Mexico’s President Says Carlos Slim Might Help Rebuild Collapsed Metro Line

06/24/2021

Source: The New York Times

MEXICO CITY — The business tycoon Carlos Slim is willing to repair part of Mexico City’s subway system, the country’s president said Wednesday, after investigations found that shoddy work by Mr. Slim’s engineering firm had caused part of a metro line to collapse last month, killing 26 people.

But it was not clear whether that meant Mr. Slim would absorb any of the cost of fixing the line, which failed less than nine years after it opened.

READ MORE

Mexico’s richest man Carlos Slim hospitalized with COVID-19

01/27/2021

Source: Reuters

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Mexican businessman Carlos Slim, one of the world’s richest men, remains hospitalized with COVID-19, spokesman Arturo Elias said on Wednesday.

The 80-year-old telecoms magnate has been receiving treatment at the National Institute of Nutrition, a public health center in Mexico City, since his son confirmed on Monday that he had tested positive.

“He’s in [the hospital] for analysis and monitoring, but he’s doing very, very well,” Elias said.

READ MORE

Telefonica teams up with AT&T in Mexico in new bid to take fight to Slim

cell phones 2

11/21/19 – Reuters

By Julia Love

Spanish telecoms giant Telefonica has struck a deal to use some of U.S. rival AT&T’s infrastructure in Mexico, a move analysts said would better position both to compete with the market’s juggernaut, billionaire Carlos Slim’s America Movil.

Under the agreement announced on Thursday, Telefonica will use AT&T’s wireless ‘last-mile’ equipment – the final link of telecom networks that delivers service to consumers through towers, antennas and fiber-optic cables.

Read more…

Mexican billionaire Slim vows to invest in Mexico, touting economic prospects

Carlos Slim

10/16/19 – Reuters

By Julia Love, Daina Beth Solomon

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim said on Wednesday that he expects to invest up to $5 billion in Mexican infrastructure during the current administration as he delivered a full-throated endorsement of the economy despite investor jitters.

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim said on Wednesday that he expects to invest up to $5 billion in Mexican infrastructure during the current administration as he delivered a full-throated endorsement of the economy despite investor jitters.

Read more…