Mexico prepares for arrival of next Central American migrant caravan

1/9/2019 – Reuters

caravanBy Diego Oré

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Mexican authorities will meet with Central American officials to prepare for the arrival of a planned new caravan of migrants headed to the United States next week.

The head of Mexico’s immigration office, Tonatiuh Guillen, left on Wednesday on a trip to El Salvador and Honduras to meet with his counterparts and other authorities, said Interior Ministry spokesman Hector Gandini.

Mexico hopes to discourage a mass exodus from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, and wants Central Americans who decide to migrate north to do so in an orderly way and through legal ports of entry.

Read more…

Advertisements

UN Group Slams Mexican Plan to Hold More Suspects Pending

12/13/2018 – The New York Times

Flag-of-the-United-Nations.jpgMEXICO CITY — A U.N. rights group is criticizing a proposal by Mexico’s leftist Morena party to broaden the list of charges that require suspects be jailed while on trial.

The bill passed last week by Mexico’s Senate adds four crimes to those considered so serious that suspects can’t be released on bail or personal recognizance.

The list currently includes serious crimes like murder, rape or terrorism, and the measure would broaden add corruption, weapons possession, child sex abuse and fuel theft from government pipelines.

Read more…

Trump administration asks top court to restore asylum order

12/12/2018 – Reuters

Capture.PNG
REUTERS/Loren Elliott

By Andrew Chung

(Reuters) – President Donald Trump’s administration asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday to let his order barring asylum for immigrants who enter the United States illegally take effect even as litigation over the matter proceeds.

The U.S. Justice Department asked the court to lift a temporary restraining order against the asylum rules issued by San Francisco-based U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar. Trump has taken a hard line toward legal and illegal immigration since taking office last year.

Citing what he called an overwhelmed immigration system, Trump issued a proclamation on Nov. 9 that authorities process asylum claims only for migrants crossing the southern U.S. border at an official port of entry. Tigar blocked the rules on Nov. 19, drawing Trump’s ire.

Read more…

 

 

Mexico’s new president must address the epidemic of mass graves

From 2006 to 2016, almost 2,000 mass graves used by criminals to disappear people were discovered in Mexico, according to official records. This barbaric practice took place in 24 states, affecting 1 in 7 municipalities.

These are some of the results of a year-and-a-half-long investigation led by a group of journalists concerned about the systematic and widespread practice of disappearing people. During the past two administrations, 37,000 have gone missing.

Our investigation — which discovered 1,978 clandestine graves, the municipalities where they were located and the number of bodies and remains extracted — shows more than double the highest number of graves reported during the same period by the National Human Rights Commission (CNDH), a federal government agency.

Read more…

Trump administration official defends tear gas use at Mexico border

12/11/2018 – Reuters

reuters.PNG
REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/File Photo

By Yeganeh Ttorbati

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The firing of tear gas canisters by U.S. border agents toward migrants in Mexico near a border crossing last month followed regulations, a senior Trump administration official said in testimony to Congress on Tuesday.

On Nov. 25, U.S. border agents fired tear gas to disperse a group of migrants near the U.S.-Mexico border crossing separating Tijuana from San Diego when some rushed through fencing into the United States.

A day after the incident, Mexico’s foreign ministry presented a diplomatic note to the U.S. government calling for “a full investigation” into what it described as non-lethal weapons directed toward Mexican territory.

Read more…

Mexico’s supreme court orders domestic workers formalized

12/06/2018 – The Washington Post

MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s Supreme Court on Wednesday declared unconstitutional the optional nature of enrolling domestic workers in the social security system and given the government three years to build a system making it mandatory.

It would be a dramatic change for Mexico’s more than 2 million housekeepers, gardeners, cooks and drivers. The change would not only mean employers pay into the country’s social security system, but the workers would gain access to Mexico’s public health system.

A statement from the court said the current system results in discrimination, especially for women who represent nine of 10 domestic workers in Mexico.

Read more…

 

Mexico’s New President Forms Truth Commission for Missing Students

12/03/2018 – The New York Times

03-12-18-FOTO-12-FIRMA-DECRETO-PRESIDENCIAL-PARA-LA-VERDAD-EN-CASO-AYOTZINAPA.jpgMEXICO CITY — Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador signed a decree on Monday to set up a commission tasked with determining what happened to 43 missing and presumed killed trainee teachers kidnapped in 2014, a crime that continues to loom large in the country.

“This is a matter of state,” Lopez Obrador said at an event with parents of the missing on his first weekday in office, following his inauguration on Saturday. He also offered protection to witnesses so they could safely tell their stories.

“We are not going to wash our hands of this,” he said, promising that no obstacles will prevent the truth from being revealed.

Read more…