09/07/2016 The Washington Post
Donald Trump’s immigration policies were a hit in the primary season — but as many expected, they’re broadly and almost uniformly unpopular with general election voters. The latest evidence: the new CNN poll.
- While Trump favors an enforcement-first approach, Americans prefer by a 51-to-36 margin to first deal with the illegal immigrants already in this country.
- Just 30 percent say the government should deport all immigrants living illegally in the country.
- Americans oppose Trump’s border wall, 58 percent to 41 percent.
- About three-quarters (74 percent) doubt that Trump can actually get Mexico to pay for the wall along the southern border, despite his regular assurances that it would.
- Previous polling has shown clear opposition to Trump’s plan to ban Muslim immigration.
And despite it all, the very same CNN poll shows that the immigration issue is basically a wash. While 49 percent say Hillary Clinton would make a better president on immigration, 47 percent prefer Trump.