Mexico Detains Five Suspects in Response to Casino Fire

August 31, 2011

Fox News Latino, 8/31/11

The five suspects arrested in connection with the attack last week on a casino in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey that left 52 people dead told investigators they did not plan to kill anyone and only wanted to scare the establishment’s owners, officials said Tuesday.

The suspects, who have confessed to the attack and are being held under a preventive arrest order while prosecutors build the case against them, were paraded before the press Tuesday at the Nuevo Leon state Attorney General’s Office.

The five men were photographed in front of the vehicles they used to carry out the attack last Thursday on the Casino Royale in Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo Leon.

Read more


Statement by the President on the Attack in Mexico

August 26, 2011

Office of the Press Secretary, The White House, 8//26/11

I strongly condemn the barbaric and reprehensible attack in Monterrey, Mexico yesterday.  On behalf of the American people, our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families at this difficult time.

The people of Mexico and their government are engaged in a brave fight to disrupt violent transnational criminal organizations that threaten both Mexico and the United States. The United States is and will remain a partner in this fight.  We share with Mexico responsibility for meeting this challenge and we are committed to continuing our unprecedented cooperation in confronting these criminal organizations.

Read more


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 10,774 other followers